Thursday, April 29, 2010

Moments in the life of a TBI Survivor - Seizure

I greatly apologize.  I know many of you have been anxiously awaiting my follow-up posts, but haven't seen anything in quite some time.  I've decided to both give you information about my life post-TBI as well as historical information about my injury. 

As I emerged from my drug-induced coma after sustaining a TBI in 2000, I suffered a few focal seizures.  I have no recollection of these seizures, but have been told they involved staring for long periods of staring.  From that moment on, I was put on seizure medication.

Over the last 10 years I have attempted to be taken off seizure meds, but it never ends up in my favor.  My recovery has been so miraculous in almost all other respects, that I think of this disorder as a mere inconvenience. 

Patients of TBI and closed head injuries, need not be discouraged by the abrupt changes in their life.  Nothing in this life is impossible, with hard work, a positive attitude, and persistence.  I always knew that life post-TBI would be hard, but what would life be if we didn't have challenges?  I am a much better person having experienced the many challenges of my TBI.

Its good to be back and I plan to write far more often, so that I can provide the hope and answers that you are searching.

2 comments:

  1. i have tbi as well. Hard to concentrate which leads to a lot of mental fatigue but with faith and family, friends and girl-friends its somewhat sustainable. Keep inspiring, just read and commented because i really felt it in me to do so. Keep pushing Bookworm Patriot with love

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's rite, hearing ur story encouged me and gave me hope for my boyfriend who has been in the Hospital for the padt 3 days with severe brain damage a tube in his head to relive the pressure and the swelling. Really needed to that, congradulations and stay strong.

    ReplyDelete